Argentine specialists and other countries meet in the country at a conference on the subject; what are the treatments to combat the disease
Genetics and treatments
Susana Puig Sardá, head of the Dermatology Service at the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona and head of the Idibaps group, which researches images, genetics and immunology of the melanoma, indicates that for more than 20 years There are very important improvements in terms of imaging diagnosis of this type of skin cancer., which is the most aggressive skin tumor. “This is dermoscopy –precise–, which increased diagnostic accuracy by more than 25% for all tumors, in addition to doing so with pathology of the skin in general, hair and nails.”
Although there are important advances in the development of algorithms to analyze images of skin lesions, Puig Sardá recommended not using the more than 20 apps for mobile phones that promise to classify these lesions just by bringing them close to the screen . “They are not reliable,” he emphasized. “These artificial intelligence algorithms are not yet tested to be used by the general population.”
Regarding the genetics of melanoma, the most serious tumor of skin cancers, he stated that more than 55% of these owe their reason to the person’s own genes and the remaining 45% to ultraviolet radiation. “People with darker skin are naturally more protected from melanoma. There are susceptibility genes and high-risk genes – he points out –. In Latin America, where the incidence of melanoma is low, genetic screening is recommended in those people with two or more cases of melanoma in first- or second-degree relatives (father, mother, siblings, grandparents) or in people who have had more than one melanoma. Identification of the genetics of the tumor is very important. In prevention, because there are people who carry mutated genes who are nevertheless asymptomatic and under treatment because if cancer has already occurred this allows us to better classify the tumor and because there are also therapies specifically directed at these mutations, with better results. .
source: La Nacion